Subject to the University Act, these Rules and Regulations have the force of Tharaka University College statutes for efficient delivery of services and disciplinary purposes. All patrons are strongly advised to read, understand and adhere to them.
Library Opening Hours :
Lending of Books (Long loan)
(open for private reading only)
Public Holiday: Closed
- Academic and non-academic staffs are to be recommended by their Heads of Departments for membership to the library.
- Memberships of patrons from recognized institutions collaborating with Tharaka University College will be considered on production of recommendation letter from their Institution.
- Registration of students will be closed one month after admissions of first year – subject to undergoing orientation.
Non Members (Institutions / Individual)
External members shall be considered for membership on production of recommendation letters from local chief/ employer / institution. In addition they shall pay Ksh 200/= per day or a non-refundable annual subscription fees of Ksh 1,000/=
NB: No loan facilities will be extended to this Category of Membership
Shall pay a non-refundable annual registration fee of Ksh 5,000/= and Ksh 10,000/= as caution money respectively. The fees are subject to revision without notice. The librarian reserves the right to register and deregister such client.
NB: A maximum of 5 books will be loaned for 30 days (1 month)
The Librarian reserves the right to demand identification from registered members and may withhold admission into the library.
The University identity cards must be shown at the Library entrance. External users shall produce national identification cards.
The term “book” is deemed to cover all type of library materials containing information.
All, registered members are allowed to borrow books and they will be expected to identify themselves at the time of borrowing. Use of unauthorized documents e.g. other people’s documents is strictly not allowed.
Readers are advised not to bring into the University Library the following;-
- Borrowed books under any circumstances unless they are meant for discharging/return.
- Personal books.
Books marked: REF, AFR, SPEC, PAM and Thesis/Dissertations and Archival materials are strictly for use within the Library.
Members must produce ID for each book borrowed and adhere to the following;-
- Undergraduate student – 3 books for two weeks and reserved /short loan book for one hour/weekend.
- Postgraduate students(PGDE/Med/PhD) – 3 books for three weeks and one reserved/short loan book for one hour/weekend/overnight loan
- Academic Staff – 6 books for 1 (one) month.
- Technician – 3 books for 1 (one) month
- Non- academic staff and others – 3 books for 1 (one) month
- School Based students- 4 (four) books for one month (to be returned during the next consultation)
The librarian may recall, withhold or restrict the circulation of any information material in the Library.
Reserved/short loan resources may be borrowed for use in the Library for a maximum of 1 (one) hour and may be renewed. The resources are available for overnight loan after 8:45pm and returned before 9.00 am the following day on weekdays and between 3:00pm and 3.45 pm on Saturday and returned before 9:00am on Monday
- Borrowing of newspapers can be done between
9:00am – 6:00pm
- All materials on loan must be returned before or on the time/date due.
- Library materials returned by post must be registered and a receipt for the same kept for verification purposes.
- A book will be assumed lost after the third reminder and therefore shall be paid for.
- A member who fails to return books on after third reminder will lose his/her membership privileges
- Student IDs are not Interchangeable.
- Borrowers are held responsible for any damage or loss of any information materials borrowed using their documents/ID (They should inspect them before borrowing).
- A member who loses an identification ticket shall make a written report to the librarian immediately after loss and copy given to the chief security Officer.
- LIBRARY CHARGES
- Overdue library materials will be charged a fine of :-
- Long loan Ksh 5/= per day for each borrowed book.
- Short loan Ksh 5/= for the first hour and Ksh 10/= for every subsequent hour for each borrowed book.
- Recalled long loan materials accumulate Ksh 6/= per day one week from the recall date.
For lost information materials, borrowers will be charged;-
- Three times the cost of a book in print
- Five times the cost of a book out of print
For damaged information materials, borrowers will be charged twice the cost of :
–replacement or repair. Damaged materials will remain in the library until payment due is received.
– Materials declared lost and charged for will only be accepted back at the convenience of the library. Refund will be at discretion of the librarian
– A user attempting to remove a book from the library in unauthorized manner shall be taken to security department and fined Kshs 500/=, have his/her membership cancelled and taken to University College Disciplinary Committee.
All photocopying within the library is subject to:
- Copy Right Act Cap 130 Laws of Kenya
- The library’s authority to photocopy
- The written permission from the authors of these dissertations.
SILENCE should be strictly observed in the library.
- Users are strictly not allowed to make or receive phone calls in the Library at any time.
- Library users are not allowed to wear/put on overcoats/Jackets or head gear(s). Bags should be left at the luggage area/bay of the Library. The library accepts no liability for loss of personal property left at the luggage area/bay.
- All readers must show at the entrance/exit all items they are bringing in/taking out of the library.
- The security Staff reserves the right to inspect books and check bags before a user enters or exits from the Library.
- Marking or defacing of books and periodicals is forbidden.
- The booking of reading carrels/tables in the Library is strictly not allowed.
- Readers are requested not to interfere with light switches, computers, Computer accessories and library arrangement of furniture’s.
- Materials not properly borrowed from other libraries (other than Tharaka University College Libraries) will be confiscated and returned to the institutions of origin with particulars of the user found with them for necessary action by the offended institution.
- Smoking, spitting, eating hawking, sleeping, drinking and littering are strictly prohibited in Tharaka university College Library.
- Library users are free to report any complaints concerning library services to the librarian.
- Unplugging of computer cables from power sockets is strictly prohibited.
- Users are not allowed to return the books to the shelves after reading, they should leave them on the reading tables.
Library clearance to registered members will be based upon payment of / for;-
- Overdue fine in full
- Lost and /or damaged Library materials
In case of blackout, the library will remain open for 20 minutes to allow student to clear from the library.