- Circulation Section
Tharaka University has automated its services using Koha library Management system to facilitate efficiency in registration of new library users, lending and receiving of books, reservation of materials, and clearance of users, overdue fine charging, online public access catalogue and others.
This section contains:
- Materials reserved by the teaching staff.
- Past paper exams.
- Materials on high demand.
- Materials that are rare and out of print.
- Thesis and proposals.
- Materials with delicate binding.
Reserve section materials are;
- Loaned out for one hour or overnight/weekend.
- Renewable if not requested by other users.
- Acquisition Section
- The service deals with library collection development and management policy and acquires a collection that meets the present and future information needs. The method of collection development includes purchase, gifts, donations, interlibrary loans and exchange programs.
- Evaluation of solicited and non-solicited gifts or donations is done to determine their worthiness in terms of currency, format and content of the material or whether there are strings attached.
- The collection development policy, in use by the library spells out how many volumes purchased per title.
Planning for a new collection. The library provides publishers’ catalogue to Teaching staff to spearhead in the selection of new collection
- Consultation Section:
This section is under reader’s service division of the library it provides;
– An effective reference/consultation to clientele.
– Give directions to the library users on the most effective way of using the library.
– Repackaging and sorting out information for easy retrieval.
– Do user survey profiles.
Consultation section is the public relations point of the library, it continuously markets the services offered in the library and creates a favourable image of the library.
Reader’s advisory services
- The section attends to both general and specific queries.
- Reference interview is conducted from time to time in negotiating all patrons’ requests
- Maximum time is accorded to in-person a patron is determined by the pace of activity, the number of available staff, and the librarian’s discretion as to the Paton’s needs.
Conducting Literature search services.
- This section conducts both manual and electronic literature searches on the available information resources.
- Manual literature searches: clients are assisted on how to search print materials.
- Internet/online searches: The section assists users with electronic literature searches.
Orientation /Information literacy services.
- The reference section conducts the library orientation sessions are held for fresh students within the first week of registration.
- This is done in all various sections of the library.
- This also applies to any visitor(s) internal or external)l to the university library.
Display of new books
- New books are displayed for two weeks before being put on circulation.
- Library users are allowed to reserve books on display for borrowing after display period expires.
Interlibrary loan services
The reference section provides the information that users need by consulting individual experts, tapping external information sources from Tharaka University library and by accessing the world of information accessible via internet.
This section weeds the notice boards within the library and retains the most current notices.
This section makes service areas for reference services highly visible and readily accessible to all users through notices and continuous display.
5. DIGITAL LIBRARY SECTION:
Tharaka University Library makes use of computers within the library and computer laboratory for students to access e-resources, the university has subscribed to through Kenya libraries and information services consortium (KLISC) Off campus , Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC), Institutional Repository and Library Website. University College students are also encouraged to use their laptops and smartphones to access e-resources through the readily available wifi facility.
Opac(online public access catalogue) services
OPAC enables library users to know the materials available in the library collection locate them and borrow.